My Tubby Smith Experience....

>> Sunday, June 21, 2009





Recently, I made a post regarding Tubby Smith's lawsuit and the affect it will have on his reputation. Well, there were some things said in the comments section that, apparently, peaked the interest of a few individuals.

The comments were in regard to Tubby's failure to properly tip and several people have e-mailed me and wanted me to share this story....so, I have decided to do just that.

While I was a junior at the University of Kentucky, I had the pleasure of working at a nice restaurant on S. Ashland Ave called Good Fortune. Unfortunately, Good Fortune is no longer in business because they couldn't sustain their high class clientele without an experienced delivery driver, such as myself. I had the pleasure of delivering Chinese food to the most important people in the Lexington-Fayette area...Ok, mostly sorostitutes who had taken a liking to a 6'4" country boy delivering egg rolls.

However, one day a delivery order is handed to me and it is headed for the Presidential Palace on Rose Street. I think to myself, wow, I may finally get to meet Lee Todd's hot daughter and hop in my S10 and head for the delivery location. Since I was the best damn delivery driver to ever grace Lexington, KY, I made that trek from S. Ashland to Rose in under 25 minutes. Quite an accomplishment, if I must say so myself (Sarcasm). So here I go, praying that Lee Todd's daughter is going to answer the door, but I am astonished when Orlando and Donna Smith answer my knocking.

I had planned on refraining on the price of the order, but it was over 50 dollars and with gas over 3 dollars a gallon, I thought to myself, "I've hit the jackpot." I handed over Tubby's General Tso's chicken and Donna Smiths 14 orders of Sesame Chicken and 27 eggrolls (she had a large appetite) and handed them their receipt.

Well, I was then rewarded with "Just keep the change, honey." Just keep the change, honey=a total of 15 cents on an order over 50 dollars. Donna and Tubby Smith certainly went out of their way to help a struggling college student. When I refused to keep the 15 cents, I was then rewarded with a door slammed in my face by, Mr. Nice Guy himself, Tubby Smith.

A multi-millionaire who can't tip more than 15 cents to a struggling college student, who is decked out in UK blue and was cordial as humanly imaginable, is not a nice person. I'm still astonished, to this day, of the cheapness and rudeness of the Smith family. Sure, it may seem immature and ridiculous to hold a grudge over something as simple as a tip, but that's exactly what I am.

11 comments:

One fly cat June 21, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

hahahaha! nice story man.

Shad June 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

That was a great story.

jhager2080 June 21, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

glad i could be the one to make you rant on about this for the 23847501028 time in your life lol

Anonymous June 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

Tubby was an ass. He put on a pretty face for the public but that was it.

Derrick June 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM  

ha, You can't take credit for that one, Hager...

Several people sent an e-mail just wanting to know lol

Anonymous June 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

Yeah, right. Tubby is a nice guy.

Derrick June 22, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

Choose to believe it if you want...

I'd put my hand on the bible today that it happened.

Anonymous June 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

25 minutes to get from Rose to S. Ashland? No wonder you only got 15 cents of a tip. I could walk that in 3 minutes.

Derrick June 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

Its called SARCASM, bud. Obviously, you've never been in a vehicle on rose street/euclid area during busy college hours. I, highly, doubt I was walking the food down there.

Let me guess, you thought I was serious about the amount of donna's order, as well?

Seriously. Lord.

Anonymous June 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

I'll be honest...It's really a race thing.

Hate all you want but it is...

Black people as a whole don't tip well.

Women in general do not tip well. Old women really don't tip well.

White Men are all over the place but the majority of good tippers are white dudes that are nicely dressed. Gay guys tip well.

I've worked at several spots -- from casual (Rafferty's) to really nice (Morton's), and regardless of success level, the same general rules apply.

In other words, even successful brothers don't tip well. I got on average 5-10% from black dudes who were doing business. White guys doing business on average gave 20% if not 30%.

Here's a true story for you. It's second hand but it came from one of my best friends from college. The guy is from Chicago. He once had the opportunity to caddy for Michael Jordan for a charity event. Long story short...when he finished up his 4 day stint as MJ's caddy, he placed the golf bag in MJ's Bentley and stood there waiting for a tip. MJ looked at him and said, "Oh I guess you're waiting for some kind of tip." My buddy said he nodded and at that point felt it was not going to happen. MJ straight faced, looks at him and says, "Here's your reward...You got to caddy for the best NBA player of all time. Consider it a privilege." and then he drove off.

Now that is one stingy SOB...MJ's worth in the 100's of millions or at least he was then...it happened back when he was still married...

Derrick June 23, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

Ha, solid story, bro.

I don't want to get into the racial stereotypes, though. I appreciate your candor in the post.